Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Easy Cherry Raisin Oatmeal Cake

With a nut, soy, egg allergic daughter, I am in search of something sort of sweet to treat (but not TOO unhealthy!) my daughter with (not to mention absent of any BOP ingredients, too!). I'm an avid baker, so not being able to use eggs in my baking recipes is a bit of a disappointment. However, I will not be deterred and I would like to find a cake/muffin recipe that I can use for her. So, here is my take on a recipe originally posted on www.allrecipes.com.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cherries
2 cups water
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 10 x 10 inch baking pan.

In a large saucepan boil the raisins and cherries with the water for 10 minutes. Add the butter or margarine and let cool.

In the same pan add the flour, soda, salt, sugar, and oatmeal, mix well and pour batter into a lightly greased 10x10 inch baking pan .

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Serves 8 to 12.

*I like to serve warm cake with a dollop of yogurt and maybe some berries sound nice, too. Also, I believe that these would make a nice muffin, too. If you want to get wild and crazy, you could also ice with cream cheese frosting, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment