Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Whole Grain Wheat Bread Using KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Nothing is better than homemade bread with a slathering of homemade jam! I made this recipe a couple of weeks ago (after I made some white bread in my KitchenAid Stand mixer), but forgot to post the recipe. This recipe is from the instruction manual that came with the mixer. I love that it uses 100% whole wheat flour.

It was very humid the day that I made the bread, so one of my loaves didn't rise as much as I would have liked but it sure tasted DELICIOUS! The bread was dense, grainy and wholesome. I feel good about feeding my family good, nutritious foods that I know we can safely eat.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup plus 1 T brown sugar, divided
2 cups warm water
2 packages active dry yeast
5-6 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup powdered milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup oil

Directions:
Dissolve 1 T brown sugar in warm water in small bowl. Add yeast and let mixture stand.

Place four cups flour, powdered milk, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and salt in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to speed 2 and mix about 15 seconds. Continuing on speed 2, gradually add yeast mixture and oil to flour mixture and mix about 1 1/2 minutes longer. Stop and scrape bowl if necessary.

Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl, about two minutes. Knead on speed 2 about 2 minutes longer.

Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft about one hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into loaf. Place in greased loaf pans. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.

Bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake 30 minutes longer. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment