Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese

I originally found this recipe on http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/04/macaroni-cheese/. Of course the pictures there make everything look decadent and delicious. I am such a sucker for mac and cheese- NOT the box kind- so I knew I had to try this one. However, with and egg allergic kid and my own BOP allergies, I had to modify slightly in order to make it suitable for our family. I added in some chopped ham and spinach in order to make this more of a meal than a side dish.

Ingredients:

4 cups Dried Macaroni (I used whole wheat Rotini)
¼ cups (1/2 Stick Or 4 Tablespoons) Butter
1/8 cup Corn Starch
2-½ cups Whole Milk (I used fat free half and half)
1 pound Cheese, Grated (I used a mixture of low-fat mozzarella and cheddar)
½ teaspoons Salt, More To Taste
½ teaspoons Seasoned Salt, More To Taste
½ teaspoons Ground Black Pepper

Directions:

Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.

In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in corn starch. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.

Pour in milk and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick (and it does get very sticky and gooey!). Reduce heat to low.

Add in cheese and stir to melt (may need to add a touch more milk to thin out- just don't add TOO much milk).

Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.

Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment