Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sodium Benzoate

In my last post, I wrote that it was prudent to avoid benzoates while trying to follow a BOP-free diet. This led me to find out what exactly IS a benzoate?

According to Wikipedia, benzoates are a preservative. It- specifically sodium benzoate- can be found in salad dressings, carbonated drinks, jams, jellies and even as a preservative in medicines and makeup. It can also be found naturally in low levels in cranberries, cinnamon, prunes and apples.

While making a marinade for our salmon dinner the other night, I reached for Kikkoman's Low Sodium Soy Sauce. Guess what? It contains sodium benzoate.

While brushing my teeth and going through the usual routine, I reached for the Listerine Fresh Mint Mouthwash. Guess what? You've got it- it contains sodium benzoate.

Hmm... this is getting complicated.

So, instead of using soy sauce in my marinade for dinner, I just brushed the fish with olive oil, gave a generous dollop of minced garlic and broiled. Fifteen minutes later, accompanied with a side of sauteed spinach, I had a healthy, quick dinner free of Balsam of Peru, benzoates and citric acid.

As for the mouth wash, well, I had to skip it and I'm now looking into how to make my own toothpaste free of mint, vanilla or cinnamon flavoring. More on that, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment