Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Basic White Bread Using KitchenAid Stand Mixer

While following a BOP-free diet, I'm learning that not only do I need to start eating more foods in it's most natural state (veggies, salads, grains, meat, etc.), but I also need to start making more from scratch so that I know EXACTLY what is in it (i.e. no BOP)! As I'm reading more labels and learning how to decipher the ingredients, I'm becoming more aware of the JUNK put into processed and manufactured foods. I was so angry when I read that high fructose corn syrup was the second ingredient in the loaf of labeled "100% whole wheat" bread sitting on my shelf. Seriously?!


Anyway, I digress. Back to the topic on hand- making more things from scratch. First up- bread. What is more basic than bread? I love, love, LOVE bread! I especially love homemade bread. Now, I've made bread in the past- both using a machine and the good ol' fashioned way by kneading the dough, but I decided that I'd give my Kitchenaid stand mixer a try for this one.


Ingredients:


1/2C milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast (.34 oz.)
1-1/2 C warm water (105 F to 110 F)
5-6 C Unbleached bread flour

Directions:
1. Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm (less than 110 F).
2. If using active dry yeast, dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. If using Instant Yeast, just add it to the flour and mix it in before adding liquids.
3. Add lukewarm milk mixture and water to 4 1/2 C (1# 6 oz.) flour. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 C (2.5 oz.) at a time (slowly so it doesn't fly out of bowl), until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch. (At this point I take the dough and knead it for 5-7 minutes, adding flour as needed, until I get the feel I want from the dough.)
4. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about an hour.
5. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.


My dough at step three was very, very, very sticky and I ended up adding closer to seven cups of flour. I was concerned I was going to make it too dry and knead the dough too much making it tough. However, miracles of miracles, the dough rose perfectly and formed a beautiful golden brown crust when baked. The stand mixer makes it easier to assemble-I did it one handed while holding my 14 month old daughter in one hand and measuring ingredients with the other- just measure, dump, let the stand to the mixing and then you are ready to form the loaves and voila! Fresh, homemade bread! However, it's harder using a stand mixer because you can't FEEL how the dough is forming and a lot about bread making is how the dough feels- the texture, the softness (or hardness). So, note to self, dough in the stand mixer is stickier than making it by hand.


I wanted to start out trying to follow the recipe to the T since I was unfamiliar with how the stand mixer works when making bread. Next time, though, I'd like to tinker with the recipe and incorporate whole wheat flour, make some flax seed, oats and/or bran to make the bread healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment