Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pizza Un-Pizza

I never used to be a pizza kind of gal. Don't get me wrong, I liked pizza as much as the next person, but I never, ever CRAVED pizza... that is, until I got pregnant. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I CRAVED pizza. All of that baby weight? Well, it might as well been called personal pan.

I thought that this obsession with cheese and tomato smothered pizza crust would go by the wayside once my baby was here. It did not. Then, I found out that tomatoes were out of the diet due to Balsam of Peru. Bummer. Big Bummer.

So, rather than wallow in self-pity for what I cannot have, I decided to make my own pizza!


1 cup warm water
1/4 cup oil
2 cups of bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
3 TBS brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup mozzarella cheese
EVOO
Toppings of your choice

Once the dough cycle is finished, I roll the dough onto 2 pizza stones. Cover with towel and let rise 30-45 minutes more.

Now, for the fun part! I like to drizzle a little bit of olive oil on my crust and season with Italian seasonings. Then, I add a liberal amount of torn spinach. I "glue" everything together with a healthy sprinkling of cheese. You can mix up the toppings to suit your taste. Pesto would be a great tomato sauce replacer, too!

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Mange!

No comments:

Post a Comment